Sunday, October 17, 2010

Giant Personalities

It's October. That means I've started to pay attention to baseball because the playoffs are underway. In the American league I'm rooting for the Texas Rangers.
Because they're not the Yankees.

In the National league I'm hoping the San Francisco Giants beat the Philadelphia Phillies. Why? Two of their pitching aces have personalities. They're straight up characters. Tim Lincecum, who has won that past two Cy Young awards, led the National League in Strikeouts again this season. The Giants' relief pitcher, Brian Wilson, led the Majors in Saves. When not dominating from the pitcher's mound, Lincecum is getting busted for possession of marijuana and Wilson is perceived as crazy. And neither of these guys has done much to market themselves as squeaky clean or sane. And I like that. I'm also a fan b/c Wilson's beard looks no more real than a fake beard on SNL. Watching him pitch is hilarious. I keep waiting for that beard to fall off.

Way back when, I was a pitcher. An eccentric one at that. Pitching is as much a mind game as it is athleticism. Getting into people's heads before they step up to the plate is invaluable. Then again, maybe I like these guys because baseball is, let's face it, kind of boring. And these guys are the closest thing we've got to Bad News Bears underdogs or Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn from the movie Major League.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment